A. Preparatory actions, elaboration of management plans and/or of action plans
A.1 Technical blue-prints for restoration works (ecological engineering measures)
- Blue-prints for the restoration works for the Ormož Basins were finished.
- Blue-prints for river branches restorations were finished.
- Implementation project for the disturbance reduction was finished.
- Necessary permits for the Ormož basins restoration were obtained.
- Necessary permits for the all 3 river branches restoration were obtained.
- Necessary permits for removal of lateral embankment at location Vurberk were obtained.
- Necessary permits for the disturbance-reduction measures were obtained.
A.2 Hydraulic analysis – flood and sediment transport modelling
- Software MIKE21C, MIKE 11, MIKEFLOOD and the working station were purchased.
- VGB staff accomplished MIKE Software training.
- Granulometric study was done (subcontractor Lamela d.o.o.).
- Laser scanning (LIDAR) was done (subcontractor Geomnia d.o.o.).
- River bed study was done (subcontractor Iztok Slatinšek s.p.).
- Hydraulic analysis and evaluation of past typical water-engineering measures on the Drava river section Maribor-Ptuj were carried out.
- Hydraulic analysis and evaluation of the entire vegetation removal on all 25 identified gravel bars in the Drava River section between Maribor in Ptuj was carried out.
- New hydraulic model was build for the river section Maribor – Ptuj using latest survey data and calibration of the model for November 2014 flood event was carried out.
- Analysis for 10yr, 100yr and 500yr flood events were modelled after the flood protection measaures were implemented in 2014/15
- Flood risk maps were constructed for river section between Maribor and Ptuj.
- Hydraulic model for the Drava River section between Markovci and Ormož was built and calibrated.
- Analysis for 100yr flood event was modelled for section Markovci – Ormož.
A.3 Technical blue-prints for the Ormož Basins Nature Reserve visitor facilities
- The action started with the preparation of the competition for the best architectural solution of the foreseen facilities. In Oct 2012, the conservation and project guidelines with the requested functionality and conservation limitations and the conditions for participation were prepared by DOPPS project staff and invitations sent out on 8th Nov 2012.
- On the 7th Dec 2012 DOPPS obtained 3 complete elaborates with offers. The committee selected the best architectural solution for the visitor facilities, prepared by architectural bureau Ravnikar Potokar d.o.o. The contract with the selected sub-contractor was signed on the 13th Feb 2013.
- DOPPS obtained the site plan information for the area of Ormož Basins on the 12th Feb and for the area of observation tower at Lake Ptuj on 19th Feb 2013.
- Geologic research of the ground as well as geodetic scan at the micro locations of the buildings were obtained by mid-May 2013.
- The sub-contractor of the blue-prints prepared the documentation at the project idea level for all the foreseen facilities and sent out the requests for the consents for the construction of the observation tower at Lake Ptuj to all consent authorities.
- The sub-contractor finished projects for the construction (PZI) of the observation tower at Lake Ptuj, of the observation points and entrance in the Ormož basins, and of the cattle stable in the Ormož basins.
- On 23th Jul 2014 building permit was obtained for the observation tower at Lake Ptuj.
- On 20th Mar 2015 building permit for the stable with enclosure for grazing animals was issued.
A.4 Detailed grazing plan for the Ormož Basins Nature Reserve
- Two expert visits to the area where nature-conservation management is carried out by grazing of water buffalos were carried out. DOPPS’ experts visited National park Neusiedler See – Seewinkel in Austria on 14th Nov and 4th Dec 2013, met grazing experts from the park and discussed practical issues regarding water buffalos grazing
- A study – Detailed grazing plan was produced (subcontractor Cvetka Marhold s.p.).
A.5 Management plan for Ormož Basins Nature Reserve
- Necessary literature and few examples of best practice of management planning from comparable sites were collected.
- Part of discussion with RSPB expert Dr Vivienne Booth during her workshop in Slovenia on 3rd October 2014 was devoted to our area and next day she visited Ormož Basins during a full-day field excursion.
- Literature, several management planning toolkits/guidelines, examples of best practices and officially adopted management plans of similar sites in Slovenia were examined, as well as Slovene legislation for requirements of national protected areas management plans.
- Draft version of the first part (general) of the management plan was prepared (chapters general & background information, evaluation).
- All sections of the second part of the management plan (operational) were fully elaborated, including management rationale and aims.
- The first internal workshop for DOPPS – BirdLife Slovenia staff involved in management of Ormož Basins took place on 1st of April 2015 and objectives related to habitat and species management were discussed in detail.
- The second internal workshop, organized on 17th of April, was focused on visitors, facilities & infrastructure, education, monitoring and general management of the area.
- Final version of the second part of the management plan was prepared and became operational soon after.
A.6 Guidelines for sustainable water management of Drava River for the national Danube River basin management plan for period 2016-2021
- In Jan 2014 subcontractor ZRSVN made a review of all available public data relevant for the action, selected potential moderators for the stake-holder workshops, sub-contractors for the agriculture analysis, sub-contractors for the ecosystem analysis, and prepared draft of measures to improve conservation status of protected species and habitat types.
- VGB was organizing work for the action, carried out meeting with the head of the team at the Ministry to prepare a new national water management plan (NUV) 2016-2021, preparing regulations for water management and water engineering basis obligatory in water management.
- VGB organized all meetings between stake-holders.
- In Sep 2014 VGB called potential sub-contractors to give offers to prepare and implement a communication plan and analysis for agriculture, forestry and ecosystem services for the action.
- Analysis for agriculture was produced in March 2015 and analysis for forestry and ecosystem services are in the termination phase.
- VGB, DOPPS and ZRSVN prepared the coordinated proposal guidelines considering nature-conservation and water management. Guidelines proposal was presented at Ministry of the Environment and Spatial Planning on 23th of Apr 2015.
- Workshop for local stake-holders was carried out in Ptuj on 14th May 2015.
A.7 Geodetic survey and marking out the land (demarcation)
- DOPPS selected the best tenderer, the company ARM & GEO d.o.o., which carried out geodetic survey and land marking.
- On 20th and 21th Dec 2012 the company requested landowners, whose land adjoins that owned by DOPPS, to attend the process of (border) demarcation. All landowners agreed with the borders. The company made elaborate arrangements for the borders of the parcels owned by DOPPS in the cadastral municipality Frankovci and Pušenci. Study of border arrangement has been forwarded to the Surveying and Mapping Authority on 17th Apr 2013.
- Surveying and Mapping Authority issued a decree on the agreed borders on 29th Aug 2013.
B. Purchase of land
B.1 Purchase of flooded forest fragment (priority habitat type 91E0* – Alluvial forests)
- Sugar factory Ormož (Tovarna sladkorja d.d. v likvidaciji) in liquidation (TSO d.d. in liquidation) announced in Oct 2012 at the Administrative Unit of Ormož the intent of land sale (6.9 ha of flooded forest fragment). During a period of 60 days DOPPS officially accepted the offer to purchase the land.
- On 21th Dec 2012 DOPPS and TSO d.d. in liquidation signed the sale contract.
- DOPPS sent to the Administrative Unit Ormož an application for approval of the legal transaction, which was approved on 25th Jan 2013. On 27th Feb 2013 the contract between DOPPS and TSO d.d. in liquidation was notary endorsed and came into force. DOPPS was entered as the new owner into the land/cadastral register in Mar 2013.
B.2 Purchase of a single parcel to reach the integrity of the restored area
- Contact with the parcel owner was established by DOPPS and negotiations started.
- As the land purchase turned out to be impossible, DOPPS proposed a long-term lease as an alternative which was accepted by the commission in our modification request.
- Following that an agreement was reached with the owner for the long-term lease. He submitted a formal lease offer on 25th Apr 2014 and DOPPS accepted the offer on 7th May 2014. Administrative Unit Ormož approved the legal transaction on 17th Jul 2014 and issued a decree on that on 29th Jul 2014.
- DOPPS and parcel owner signed a long-term lease contract on 10th Sep 2014. On the same day contract was notary endorsed and a statement was sent to the court to enter DOPPS to the land registry as a leaseholder until 2039.
C. Concrete conservation actions
C.1 & C.2 Construction of water supply and water regulation system in Ormož Basins Nature Reserve & Restoration of the habitats for waterbirds in Ormož Basins Nature Reserve
- After the blue-prints for both actions were finished, DOPPS immediately started with the procedure of public inviting competitive tenders according to LIFE Common provisions and national legislation (Zakon o javnem naročanju ZJN-2, Off. Gazette RS 12/2013).
- DOPPS prepared a public call following the so called “open procedure” and published it at the public tendering portal and LIVEDRAVA web page on 13th Jan 2014. In the public call all implementation works for both C.1 and C.2 actions were included.
- On 19th Feb 2014 public opening of arrived bids took place at DOPPS. Four bids arrived.
- DOPPS selected the bid offering best value for money, issued a decree on that on 28th Mar 2014 and signed a contract with the sub-contractor company Cestno podjetje Ptuj d.d. (CPP) on 6th May 2014. There were no complaints from the unselected applicants.
- For the building supervision “REGNUM Tomislav Regent s.p.” was selected and put in charge of controlling the quality of implementation works of the sub-contractor. Supervision system was established.
- According to the building legislation, working safety engineer “Vartis Janez Čuček s.p.”, who is in charge of the workers safety at the building site, was appointed.
- DOPPS sub-contracted a company that removed old pipelines and iron constructions from the basins in Aug 2013.
- DOPPS selected sub-contractor “GMG Elmont d.o.o.” to prepare the land surface before the restoration works. Preparing of the land that included complete mulching of the basins area and removing of the biomass was carried out between Jan and Feb 2014.
- CPP started restoration works in May 2014.
- The restoration of the basins and construction of the new pipeline were completed according to the blue-prints.
- Project of finished works (PID) was prepared and the company that carried out the restoration, issued bank guaranty of the built materials and accomplished works.
C.3 Habitat management in the softwood forest stands in Ormož Basins Nature Reserve
- Logging permission was obtained. Forestry Institute issued a decree on 14th Nov 2013 permitting DOPPS logging for nature-conservation purposes.
- Parameters for the dead wood management experiment were prepared on Oct 2013 by National Institute of Biology, sub-contractor for the beetles monitoring under D.3 action.
- DOPPS staff logged app. 40 m3 of non-native hybrid poplars at the Ormož basins site during January 2014. Dead trunks were left at two forest surfaces according to the project in such way that we created 30-40% and 10-20% increase of dead wood in the forest stands. The management experiment was finally set in Feb 2014.
- Parameters and conditions to be considered for the restoration of the forest oxbow were prepared on 9th Jan 2014 by sub-contractor National Institute of Biology (action D.3).
- DOPPS selected a sub-contractor who carried out a restoration of 200 m long ex. river branch in the area of Ormož basins. Restoration was carried out in March 2014.
- After the restoration there were typical autochthon water plants planted in the branch. Planting water plants took place as a part of field work of students of the Faculty of natural sciences and mathematics in Maribor on 8th May 2015.
- Monitoring of endangered species – beetle Cucujus cinnaberinus in the experiment is in course (D.3).
C.4 Establishment of a grazing system for long-term and sustainable wetland management in Ormož Basins Nature Reserve
- All necessary permits for establishing the grazing system, especially for fencing of the grazing units were obtained.
- Sub-contractor company “Slikopleskarska in splošna gradbena dela, Jurkovič SSGD d.o.o.” to implement the grazing system in the Ormož Basins was selected.
- All grazing units were completely fenced by March 2015 and grazing system was fully established. In total 2300 wooden poles were erected and 12700 meters were wire fenced.
- Tractor and all equipment according to the project were purchased.
- Through company specialized for animal trade and transport DOPPS purchased and imported to Ormož basins 5 Water Buffalos. Four cows and one bull were transported from Neusiedler see – Seewinkel Nationalpark/Austria to Slovenia on 28th May 2014 and released to the basins on 31st May 2014. Animals were registered according to Slovene regulations and new grazing area for the cattle was formally registered by the Ministry for agriculture and environment on 11th Jun 2014, with the code G-MID: 100002908
- In the basins Water Buffalos were released to the grazing unit overgrown with reed and neophytes and management with grazing immediately started. At the grazing unit DOPPS excavated single drinking/bathing pond for the animals.
- DOPPS obtained fodder for the animals for the winter time 2014/2015 from the local farmers. Besides, DOPPS restored overgrown humped area of 1.2 ha within the Ormož Basins Nature Reserve into the meadow for own fodder supply.
- Procedure of public inviting competitive tenders for building of the stable was successfully carried out. On 5th of November 2014 opening of tenders took place, on 26th November DOPPS issued decree on selected tender and on 12th February 2015 the contract with selected sub-contractor (Cestno podjetje Ptuj d.d.) was signed.
- Building supervision was sub contracted (REGNUM Tomislav Regent s.p.) and in April 2015 building of the stable started. We carried out coordination meeting between investor, building company and building supervisor weekly.
- Building of the stable was finished.
C.5 Declaration of Ormož Basins Nature Reserve and Nature park at the Drava River between Ormož and Središče ob Dravi
Nature park at the Drava River between Ormož and Središče ob Dravi
- Nature Park first introductory meeting for all the stakeholders was organized in Središče ob Dravi village on 29th Jan 2014. At the meeting Nature Park idea was supported by all the people present.
- DOPPS informed Ministry on 18th Feb 2014 about the intent of Nature Park to be declared, and ministry responded on 3rd Apr 2014 with the letter of support.
- Municipality Središče ob Dravi formally accepted and published a resolution on starting the procedure for the declaration of the Nature Park.
- Second and third introductory meeting for all the stake-holders were organized by DOPPS and Municipality Središče ob Dravi on 31st Mar 2014 and 27th May 2014, respectively.
- DOPPS prepared Nature Park regime proposal in Jun 2014 which will be harmonized with the local stakeholders during the following meetings.
- Fourth meeting for all of the stake-holders was organized by DOPPS and Municipality Središče ob Dravi on 14th Jan 2015. Mayors of both included municipalities – Mr. Alojz Sok – Municipality Ormož, and Mr. Jurij Borko – Municipality Središče ob Dravi – were present at the meeting. DOPPS presented modified border proposal for the Nature Park according to the suggestions and critics from the first three meetings. New border proposal is reduced in size but preserving the most important nature value of the area. New border proposal was much better accepted by the public, but still it should not be considered as completely final.
- DOPPS collected comments of the local stakeholders on prepared Nature Park regime proposal and prepared updated version of the regime. In preparation of updated version Institute of the Republic of Slovenia for Nature Conservation (ZRSVN) was involved.
- Updated version of the regime was presented to the local stakeholders on 5th public meeting on 20th May 2015. There was no representative of the municipality of Ormož present. DOPPS presented the regime of Nature Park and collected comments on the regime from all the stakeholders on the meeting. At the end of the meeting the civil initiative of Frankovci (Municipality Ormož) showed to the rest of the participants the signatures of local people of Frankovci that they disagree with the Nature Park on Drava River between Ormož and Središče ob Dravi.
Declaration of Ormož Basins Nature Reserve
- In Jan 2013, DOPPS sent a note to the Ministry of Agriculture and the Environment, asking for a start of the procedure of the declaration of the Ormož Basins Nature Reserve. Already in 2010, DOPPS sent an initiative to ZRSVN who is the responsible authority for the preparation of the professional groundwork for the declaration of all the protected areas in Slovenia and upon this, ZRSVN asked the Ministry to approve the suitability of the declaration of this area to start with the preparation of the groundwork. Upon this note, the Ministry resumed the activities and confirmed the preparation of the groundwork to ZRSVN.
- In February 2013 DOPPS had a meeting at the Ministry about declaration procedure for the Nature Reserve.
- In October 2013 DOPPS sent to the ZRSVN a proposed regime of the Ormož Basins Nature Reserve.
- ZRSVN prepared expert argumentation for the Nature Reserve in Sep 2014 and it was sent to the ministry in Oct 2014.
- On 12th May 2015 a working meeting between Ministry of the Environment and Spatial Planning, ZRSVN and DOPPS was carried out. At the meeting most important issues were harmonized to find best possible solutions for the preparation of the official document to declare Nature Reserve. Issues were: regime, management plan, financing and land ownership. The person at the ministry was appointed as responsible for this case.
C.6 Removal of illegally built fishing and hunting platforms at Lake Ormož
- DOPPS sent tender call and contract draft for this action to 2 Croatian organisations on 13th Feb 2013. We received 2 complete offers in time. Organisation offering best references and value for the money – BIOM – was selected as the sub-contractor. Contract was signed.
- Association BIOM provided technical report on their activities in March 2014.
- Leaflet (2,500 pieces) and poster (2,000 pieces) were produced and digital copy was uploaded for free download.
- Printed materials were sent to local environmental NGOs – Zaštitarsko-ekološka organizacija Nobilis and Udruga Franjo Košćec-Varaždin. Part of the materials were distributed during world fishing competition which took place on Drava River in Sep 2014. Additionally, 50 posters and 100 leaflets were sent to Varazdinska County and Medjimurska County public institutions for management of protected areas.
- Contact with the Directorate for Nature was established.
- BIOM went regularly to the Lake Ormož area in order to monitor illegal killing of birds. Group of at least three BIOM members visited the area on 4th Jan, 11th Jan, 18th Jan, 19th Jan and 26th Jan 2014. In all five occasion no illegal killing of birds occurred although signs of poaching were recorded (wire fences on gravel islands).
- DOPPS members produced ad hoc reports from the field regarding problems we are solving in this action.
- Nature protection inspector was approached to prepare an official act order for HEP – Hrvatsko Elektro Privreda (Lake Ormož manager) to remove platforms.
- In November 2014, during the maintenance works, HEP removed all illegally built platforms at the Lake Ormož.
- There was no illegal hunting observed during the winter 2014/2015.
C.7 Creation of new artificial breeding island for Common Terns at Lake Ptuj
- DEM published a public call (JN10990/2013) at the public tendering portal on 30th Aug 2013, deadline for bids was 17th Sep 2013. In the part E of the call, building of 2 gravel breeding islands for Common Terns was ordered.
- Contract was signed with the best offerer, company FIRA d.o.o.
- Works started in summer 2014 and were finished by Sep 2014.
- 2 breeding islands were built on Ptuj Lake, each sized 1000 m2. Islands are already covered with fine gravel layer.
- On 3rd Sep 2014 final technical check was carried out by the investor, building company, engineers and DOPPS, where it was concluded that islands are suitably built according to the nature-conservation requirements.
- Both islands on the lake Ptuj were checked prior and during the early stage of the first breeding season from their creation in summer 2014. Two visits were carried out on 1st and 21st April 2015, respectively.
- Furthermore, a similar type of island was built on the Croation part of Lake Ormož in October-November 2014, based on long-term experience with management of breeding sites on the Lake Ptuj by DOPPS. Building was carried out by HEP and supervised by Association BIOM, our sub-contractor for the implementation of action A.6.
- Both islands on the Lake Ptuj were visited again on 16th and 24th of June and on 29th of July to check their condition and count the nests of the breeding birds. 44-46 pairs of Common Terns were breeding on the islands.
- On 26th of June 2015 islands on Lake Ptuj were photographed and filmed from the air using radio controlled drone. In the future, using a drone we will be able to count bird nests on islands without causing disturbance.
- On 27th of September 2015 both islands were inspected and cleared of some emerging vegetation as part of action C.8.
C.8 Conservation management of the breeding islands at Lake Ptuj
- DOPPS purchased equipment needed to carry out the action – one motor schyte (brushcutter) and 2 motor chains. To carry out the action we used rubber boat with motor and car trailer for boat transportation purchased under D.2, too.
- Fall 2012 clearing of vegetation was carried out on 20th of October.
- Spring 2013 clearing of vegetation was carried out on 2nd of April.
- Fall 2013 clearing of vegetation was carried out on 28th of September.
- Spring 2014 clearing of vegetation was carried out on 14th of March.
- Fall 2014 clearing of vegetation was carried out 20th of September.
- Spring 2015 clearing of vegetation was carried out on 1st of April.
- Fall 2015 clearing of vegetation was carried out on 27th of September.
C.9 Restoration of the river branches
- Field survey (on 28th Nov 2012) to check the effects of the flood on the river branches and gravel bars was carried out.
- Last permit for restoration of the branch at location “Vurberk” was issued on 28th Aug 2014.
- Opening of the river branch along the right bank of the Drava River near Vurberk began in August 2014. The flow of the river into the river branch was re-established in February 2015.
- Stone embankment insurance on the left bank of Drava River (“Zumrova jama”) was removed in autumn 2015.
- In February 2015 in river branch Markovci the preparation works were done.
- Between January and April 2015 VGB organized a few meetings and sight view work progress at location Vurberk and Zumrova jama.
C.10 Preparation of the river banks for breeding of Kingfisher and Sand Martin
- In 2013 breeding sites for Kingfisher and Sand Martin were created at 8 sites along the Drava River. 4 breeding sites were created on 6th Apr 2013 – one close to Zlatoličje channel (length 100 m), and three between Starše and Zumrova jama (two smaller 25 m long, and one larger 150 m long). Three breeding sites were created on 13th Apr 2013 – all close to the village Središče ob Dravi (each site 100 m long), and one on 19th Apr 2013 in a gravel pit Jurkovec close to Drava River in Ormož.
- In 2014 7 breeding sites – river banks – were prepared. (1) on 5th Apr 2014 – in Hajdoše, length 50 m, (2) on 6th Apr 2014 in Zlatoličje, length 125 m, (3) on 6th Apr 2014 in Zumrova jama I , length 10 m, (4) on 6th Apr 2014 in Zumrova jama II , length 20 m, (5) on 6th Apr 2014 in Mala vas, length 20m, (6) on 19th Apr 2014 in Središče ob Dravi I, length 20 m, and (7) on 19th Apr 2014 in Središče ob Dravi II, length 20 m.
- In spring 2015 5 breeding sites were created. Two breeding sites were created on 28th March 2015, one at Zumrova jama (20 meters long) and one near Zlatoličje (90 meters long). One breeding site was created in gravel pit Jurkovec near Drava River in Ormož on 21st March 2015 (10 meters long) and one near Mala vas on 6th May 2015 (20 meters long). One site was excavated near Hajdoše in April 2015 (50 meters long).
C.11 Management of gravel bars for the breeding of the Little Ringed Plover
- DOPPS applied for all the necessary permits to carry out bush removal on gravel bars in Sep 2013. All permits were obtained.
- In October 2013 vegetation at location Mala vas was removed.
- In April 2014 vegetation at location Starše was removed.
- In October 2014 vegetation at remaining 3 gravel bars (Vurberk, Hajdoše, Dravci) was removed.
C.12 Reduction of human disturbance and destruction of bird breeding habitat at gravel bars
- Co-ordination meeting was carried out on 23rd Jan 2014 between DOPPS and VGB where details were discussed regarding appropriate solutions for every location.
- Field excursion of VGB and DOPPS experts was carried out on 3rd Mar 2014 to check all locations.
- VGB prepared detailed description of works needed for every location in March 2014.
- In March 2014 VGB purchased antitank defences that were planned as barriers at some locations.
- VGB obtained all necessary permits for the action, however Ministry for Agriculture and the Environment issued a decree allowing the placing of road gates only instead of antitank defences. Despite our argumentation they did not change their position and the detailed implementation project had to be changed.
- In November 2015 VGB contacted potential sub-contractors to give offers to make road barriers, in accordance with the Ministry for Agriculture and the Environment. Contract with selected sub-contractor was signed in December 2014 and January 2015.
- In December 2014 DOPPS produced proposal for design of the notice boards.
- In January 2015 VGB organized transport of roadblocks (anti-tank defences) from army training area in Apače to Ormož Basins Nature Reserve.
- In the middle of January 2015 VGB called potential sub-contractors to give them offers to print notice boards and offers to install them at the same time with road barriers.
- In the end on January 2015 VGB signed a contract with a sub-contractor to print notice boards and in the beginning of February with the another one to install them.
- In February 2015 access prevention to the gravel bars was carried out by Drava VGP d.o.o. on 7 locations. At 3 locations (Starše, Hajdoše and Vurberk) ditches were excavated, at 1 location (second site Starše) earth was deposited and at 3 locations (Zumrova jama, Duplek and Placerovci) road barriers were placed. At the same time notice boards were placed at all 7 sites. Additionally single notice board was placed at location Dravci to influence people’s behaviour at the site and potentially reduce negative disturbance impact.
D. Monitoring of the impact of the project actions
D.1 Evaluation of the habitat and species monitoring results (ecosystem approach)
- According to the project the action has not started yet.
D.2 Impact of project actions on bird species
- Monitoring of waterbirds at Lake Ptuj, Lake Ormož and Ormož Basins Nature reserve was established. Protocols for standardized counts and maps were prepared, and regular counts are performed in 10-day intervals.
- Monitoring of the breeding numbers of Common Tern and Black-Headed Gull was established.
- A camera system was installed on the island in March 2014 focusing on the Common Tern colony.
- Second camera system was installed on the island in the Ormož basins in April 2015. The system is functional.
- Rubber boat with motor and additional small rubber boat (grey) were purchased to carry out the monitoring of the action D.2 and to carry out action C.8.
- Monitoring of breeding riverbed birds was established.
- Monitoring of all qualifying species for SPA Drava at Ormož Basins Nature Reserve using mapping method was established.
- Upon our request Slovenian Environment Agency (ARSO) issued us a permission (no. 35601-53/2013 – 4, dated 18th Apr 2013) for the performance of ecological study on Little Ringed Plover described under D.2 action, point 5.
- In the beginning of 2014, a detailed plan of the ecological study on Little Ringed Plover and protocols were prepared, some experts consulted and equipment for ringing purchased. Colour- ringing scheme was coordinated with International Wader Study Group.
- Field work for the ecological study on Little Ringed Plover started in early April 2014.
- Physiognomic characteristics of vegetation – mappings were carried out on 22nd Nov 2013, and data was analysed.
D.3 Impact of project actions on beetle species
- A tender call was carried out to search for an appropriate sub-contractor that can carry out beetle monitoring. Contract was signed with the National institute of Biology (NIB) in 2013. A tender call was also carried out to find the best sub-contractor for the water habitat features monitoring. Contract was signed with the University of Ljubljana, Biotechnical Faculty in 2014.
- NIB started field work in 2013. Examination of fallen trees was carried out to check the occupancy by Cucujus cinnaberinus larvae in the area of Ormož Basins Nature Reserve. The larvae were found. In the area five intercept window traps were set on April 2013 in each site defined under C.3 action – semi-optimal, sub-optimal and optimal. All together 15 traps were set and weekly checked. Traps for water beetles were set in the area on May 2013.
- According to sub-contractors’ intermediate report for 2013 all together more than 170 beetle taxa were recorded in the area, among them 87 saproxylic taxa. Besides Cucujus cinnaberinus, six additional important nature-conservation species were found in the dry part of the Ormož Basins Nature Reserve. One species was recorded for the first time for Slovene beetle fauna – Acupalpus interstitialis. In the water habitats of the Ormož Basins Nature Reserve two important nature-conservation species were found – Cybister latrimarginalis and Dytiscus dimidiatus.
- In autumn 2014 and winter 2014/2015 NIB continued fieldwork, which included sampling for the inventory of species along the Drava River (Cucujus cinnaberinus), monitoring of abiotic and biotic parameters on experimental area of renaturation (Cucujus cinnaberinus) and supporting research of ecology of Graphoderus bilineatus at the location Spodnje Krapje along the Mura River.
- NIB submitted on Dec 2014 second intermediate report »Impact of project actions on beetle species«, which presents the results of research in the project area and monitoring in the trial renaturation area in the Ormož Basins Nature Reserve for three types of bugs Graphoderus bilineatu, Cucujus cinnaberinu and Osmoderma eremita. In the report there are also the results of supporting research of the ecology of the species Graphoderus bilineatus presented. With the research the presence of Cucujus cinnaberinu is confirmed, both with the review of underbark favna along the Drava River as well as with the traps positioned in the area of renaturation in Ormož Basins Nature Reserve. During research Graphoderus bilineatus has not yet been confirmed. In the year 2014 along the Drava River there was the Osmoderma eremita recorded for the first time.
D.4 Impact of project actions on fish species
- DOPPS selected the best tendering firm »Center za kartografijo favne in flore (CKFF, Centre for Cartography of Fauna and Flora)« as the sub-contractor for the action. Contract was signed in Sep 2013.
- Field work was carried out between 10th and 11th Jun 2014. Using electorfishing method from the boat, river was sampled after a stable discharge and weather. Sampling was carried out at Drava River sections from Rošnja to Ptuj and Markovci to Zavrč. At this sections restoration works are planned (action C.9). Sampling was especially thorough at embankments and branches mouths.Sampling proved the presence of the majority of expected species, but for the first time at Drava River the Golden Spined Loach (Sabanejewia balcanica) was found. It is listed among Anex II species of Habitat Directive.
- According to the subcontract, CKFF submitted the first intermediate report »Impact of project actions on fish species« in Oct 2014, which presents the results of the research in the project area.
- CKFF continued the fieldwork, laboratory and cabinet work in autumn 2014 and spring 2015.
- In 2015 the field work was carried out between 14th and 15th April 2015. Using electrofishing method from the boat, river was sampled after a stable discharge and weather. Sampling was carried out at Drava River sections from Rošnja to Ptuj and Markovci to Zavrč. On these locations the sampling was already carried out in spring 2014 – with that the spring aspect of fish fauna is covered.
D.5 Study of the socio-economic impact of the project actions
- For the study of socio-economic impact of the project actions we selected the best tendering firm – Maribor Development Agency (MRA). We signed a contract with MRA as sub-contractor in Feb 2013.
- MRA carried out the first evaluation in 2013 before the majority of project actions started. In the study they used several public parameters and they carried out interviewing of selected target groups.
- MRA analysed data from the first evaluation and prepared a detailed study on it (First intermediate report).
E. Public awareness and dissemination of results
E.1 Notice boards in the project area
- In Oct & Nov 2012 meetings were carried out with The Institute of the Republic of Slovenia for Nature Conservation (ZRSVN), and locations for the boards were defined. DOPPS prepared the texts, designed the boards and selected the firm for printing and placing of the boards.
- Boards were placed in Jan 2014 at six locations: (1) Starše, (2) Ptuj, Ranca, (3) Markovci, Palaska, (4) Lake Ormož, observation hide, (5) Ormož basins Nature reserve, entrance, (6) Središče ob Dravi.
E.2 Web site of the project
- We built the project web page (active since the end of Dec 2012): www.ptice.si/livedrava. The web page is bilingual – Slovene and English.
- News on the web page are regularly updated. So far 161 news were published from the project.
- During the server maintenance domain was changed to http://www.livedrava.ptice.si/ as this allowed better connection to DOPPS web page and others. For the old domain redirect is active, so the page can be accessed through both.
E.3 Layman’s report
- According to the project the action has not started yet.
E.4 Setting up the basic facilities in Ormož Basins Nature Reserve (the temporary project office)
- Engine house of the ex. wastewater cleaning device in Ormož Basins Nature Reserve was converted into a temporary office. The best sub-contractor was selected for the renovation works that were carried out between Sep-Nov 2012. They included: installation of plasterboard on the ceiling and walls, painting of the walls, placing and painting of the wooden floor, replacing obsolete windows, installing toilet and bathroom, replacing electrical wiring and waterworks. Additionally, wood-burning fireplace was installed for heating and a solar power station for electricity. Solar panel was upgraded by additional panels to increase its capacity in Jan 2014.
- All aeration basins were fenced in November and December 2012.
- Two sinking basins were filled up by earth in July 2014. Before filling with earth, water from both basins was pumped out and all animals rescued in a volunteer action.
- Water well was excavated and electric automatic pump was installed for the water supply in the temporary office in May 2014.
- Four ship containers were purchased and company »GMG ELMONT, strojni izkopi, elektromontaža, storitve, proizvodnja, trgovina, gostinstvo d.o.o.« selected as sub-contractor to remake them into observation hides in Aug 2014. In winter 2014/2015 four observation points for visitors were successfully installed.
- Temporary storage for the wood was built outside the temporary office in Jun 2014.
- Contact was established with “Blind and visually impaired association of Ptuj” (Slovene = Medobčinsko društvo slepih in slabovidnih Ptuj) representatives and common field excursion to the Ormož basins Nature reserve was carried out on 10th June 2014 to get inputs for the education trail.
- At the entrance of the Ormož Basins Nature Reserve the parking lot for cars and buses was arranged, on the pavement there were put two sitting benches and recycling bins installed.
- In the planned open-air museum of the Nature Reserve the concrete deposit pools were covered with soil.
- In temporary Nature reserve’s office the system for on-line video transmition from one of the islands (located in one of the pools) was installed.
- Bird nesting-boxes are purchased and temporary stored in the office of Ormož Basins Nature Reserve. They will be finally installed when the Nature Reserve garden is set up.
- During restoration of the lagoons the trails between observation points were destroyed by heavy machinery. In spring months of 2015 these trails were reconstructed and covered with gravel.
E.5 Setting-up the basic visitor facilities at Lake Ptuj
- Project partner the Urban Municipality of Ptuj (PTUJ), is responsible for the execution of the action. Several meetings were carried out at the PTUJ to agree on location, construction and other details of the observation tower.
- For the construction of the observation tower at the right bank of Lake Ptuj all necessary official agreements and approvals (documents) were obtained. The subcontractor, Design bureau Ravnikar Potokar prepared “Project for obtaining a building permit” for the observation tower and later also »Project implementation plan«.
- After the building permit for the observation tower was obtained, in July 2014, PTUJ started with the invitation for tenders to get sub-contractor to build the tower. Tenderers have exceeded the amount, specified in the »Project implementation plan» even for 40%. Subcontractor Ravnikar Potokar prepared a new, rationalized Project implementation plan. On this basis in July 2015 PTUJ prepared a competitive tendering to select the company to build the tower.
- DOPPS prepared the texts and organised the design for the 4 sets of education boards. PTUJ ordered printing of boards and their placing in Aug 2014.
E.6 Production and distribution of a documentary film
- Sub-contractor “Kawka Production, Gregor Šubic s.p.” was contracted by DOPPS to produce and distribute the documentary film. Contract was signed in Jun 2013. Sinopsis for the film was written by DOPPS.
- Shooting of the film is in course.
- Promotion of the film started with the release of two short video clips. First clip was premiered at organizations Annual members meeting on 3th Apr 2015. It was uploaded to YouTube and can be seen here: https://youtu.be/sTcEhAX6MBI and the second video can be seen here: https://youtu.be/3hXU99vyvJM
- Video clips collected more than 993 views on YouTube and were also shared on our websites and Facebook page.
E.7 Production and distribution of project publications
- Text for the project presentation brochure (Reka Drava, Darilo narave za vse generacije) was written by DOPPS and pictures were selected. Publication was designed by sub-contractor and printed in Sep 2014 in 60.000 copies. 53.635 copies were distributed by post to all households in the project area. The rest will be distributed to the public at events, on stands and at tourist info points.
- The guidebook of the Ormož Basins Nature Reserve: General concept and content of the guidebook and its division to chapters were agreed upon during several meetings of the project team. Also collecting of old photos and other materials needed for preparation of the guidebook began.
E.8 Project educational programme
- DOPPS organized and carried out a youth ornithological research camp. It took place at Ptuj in primary school Breg between 26th June – 2nd July 2013. 23 young ornithologists aged 9 to 16 participated in the camp, and worked in 6 groups.
- Second Youth ornithological research camp “Drava 2015” was executed, which took place from 14th till 18th February 2015 at Primary school Breg, Ptuj. 15 children attended the camp.
DOPPS carried out 6 field excursions for pupils of primary and secondary schools to the project area.
- DOPPS carried out 3 lectures for pupils of primary school.
E.9 Public presentations and excursion
- DOPPS organized 15 lectures entitled “The importance of the project LIVEDRAVA for people and nature” and 11 public excursions.
- Project results were presented at the largest national symposium for water engineers, called “Mišičevi vodarski dnevi” on 4th December 2105.
- Exhibition entitled “Rived Drava – Nature’s gift for future generations” was printed on 15 Roll-up Posters and set up at Second Gymnasium in Maribor between 16th March and 22nd April 2015.
- DOPPS presented LIVEDRAVA project at Earth Day event in Maribor in 22nd April 2015.